1. Mountain Lakes Railroad Station & Esplanade


Completed in 1912, the Station saw the first train arrive in November of that year. The Railroad provided a direct route to New York City and served as the principal means of commuting for Mountain Lakes workers.  Passengers stepping off the train first saw the Esplanade, which Hapgood designed to be reminiscent of Central Park.  The original Railroad Station now houses a restaurant called The Station.  It is listed on the Morris County Inventory of Historic Sites.


 



Activity




To Site 2: Midvale Stores

Exit the parking lot onto Midvale Road and turn right.
The stores will be across the street.